We had a real treat in the Oceanwide Properties office today, Hulya cooked some lovely cookies to impress clients and go with our afternoon tea. So tasty they were that we simply had to share the recipe with you. Here it is –
Hulya’s fabulously moorish, spiced & fruity Turkish cookie recipe:
1 tea glass of oil
1 tea glass natural yogurt
200g unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 packet of baking powder
4 water glasses all-purpose/plain flour
1 egg yolk
2 apples (peeled, cored and grated)
6 dried apricots (diced small)
6 dried figs (diced small)
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup of roughly chopped walnuts
1 egg white
1 tbsp pekmez (or brown sugar and water syrup)
- Heat oven to 170 C
- Place chopped walnuts on a side plate or in a dessert bowl and put to one side.
- Fry the shredded apple, dried fruit, sugar and cinnamon in a pan until the juice starts to evaporate and it starts to thicken (5 to 10 minutes). Take off heat and leave to one side to cool.
- Blend the oil, yogurt, egg yolk and butter until smooth.
- Sieve and mix the baking powder and flour into a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry gradually until you have a smooth dough.
- Tear off a walnut sized piece of dough and flatten in your hand. Add a half teaspoon of fruit ingredient and carefully fold dough and enclose the fruit in the centre. Dip top into egg white then the chopped walnuts and arrange on lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake for around 30-40 minutes or until tops are golden brown and fruit filling is seeping slightly.
- Whilst still warm, brush tops of cookies with a little pekmez or brown sugar syrup.
Give them a try, comment and let us know what you think of Hulya’s Spiced Turkish Cookie recipe – they really are tasty!
To receive our recipes and posts as they are published, enter your details in the box on the right. To view our current selection of Turkey property please see OCEANWIDE PROPERTIES.